Bringing Up Bates "Birthdays and Boyfriends"...
- The Bates family drives down to Florida for Allie Jane Webster’s first birthday party.
- Kelly: “Birthdays are special. They only come once a year.”
- Gil: “I know they only come once a year, but they’re coming like 25 times. That’s more than once every other week, there’s a big party.”
- Kelly: “Hey, we’re a partying family.”
- “The thing about Alyssa’s house is it’s very clean,” says Lawson. “And when you bring us in, it’s hard to keep it that way.”
- The older Bates siblings help Alyssa prepare desserts, but they end up eating more than Alyssa would like.
- When Alyssa becomes overwhelmed, the family heads to the park to give her a break. Gil and the boys enjoy doing tricks on the swings. “Do y’all have to do something dangerous everywhere we go?” questions Kelly. Gil and the guys enjoy making Mom scream.
- While Alyssa finishes setting up for the party, the Bates meet Tori’s boyfriend’s family at a BBQ restaurant. Bobby only has two younger sisters, so Tori is hoping the encounter won’t be too overwhelming.
- Tori used to chaperone Alyssa and John's dates during their courtship, until Alyssa requested a different chaperone. According to Alyssa, Tori was very strict about them getting too close to each other. But now that Tori is in a relationship (not an official courtship yet), she and Bobby love to link arms and get way closer than she would have allowed as a chaperone.
- Tori says she is thrilled to see that Bobby is good with kids. “You’ve gotta be careful,” warns Zach. “If you marry a guy that’s really good with little kids, it normally means one thing: the guy is still a kid.” Whitney agrees.
- Kelly says that the only thing keeping Tori and Bobby from getting married immediately is that they still haven’t finished college. Tori has two years left, and Bobby has one, and they are both determined to complete their education.
- Alyssa goes all out for her daughter’s first birthday party. The snacks and decorations are beautiful, but she isn’t quite sure that her family appreciates the elegance of it.
- Everyone enjoys catching up with the extended Webster family. As they have been doing since Allie was a few months old, Alyssa’s siblings ask her if she’s pregnant yet. The mom of one promises that she isn’t. She and John would like to have six children. “Maybe eight,” says Alyssa. “That would be fine. I like six. Nineteen, that is not for me.”
Video courtesy of UP