Bringing Up Bates "The 20th Bates"...
- Did you enter UP’s 20th Bates contest? After watching a bunch of entry videos, the Bates select 14-year-old Emma Wright from Texas. She and her mom travel to the Knoxville area to spend a day with the Bates family.
- The first item on the agenda is Bible study. Then, it’s time for chores. Kelly lets Emma sample the two most hated chores, dishes and laundry, but the Bates mom lends a hand because she feels bad making Emma help. “My mom’s number one rule [is] new guests are ever allowed to work,” says Tori.
- Later, the Bates let Emma choose a few activities. Emma asks Erin to give her a makeover. Carlin curls Emma’s hair while Erin does her makeup.
- When do the Bates girls start wearing makeup? Kelly says around age 15 or 16. “Just remember, Emma,” Kelly cautions. “This is great and fun, but just remember: You’re beautiful without all this too. You’re beautiful like you were, too.”
- When the girls finish their makeup party, they are surprised to find two horses in the living room! Nathan and Trace take Emma riding.
- At the end of the day, everyone piles into the Bates’ 15-passenger van and heads over to Zach and Whitney’s house for a cookout.
- “They’re so genuine,” says Emma. “The people that they are on TV, that’s how they act in real life.”
- “TV makes us look better than we are, but you’re sweet,” says Carlin.